American University of Beirut
Executive Director of Advancement
About the Opportunity
The importance of philanthropy at AUB cannot be overstated. It enables research that originates in the Arab world, for the Arab world, breaking new ground around all academic disciplines from science to the humanities; ensures that the AUB campus is a beautiful, technology driven, sustainable grounds; and funds scholarships and financial aid for its successful students. A key member of the Advancement leadership team reporting to the Vice President for Advancement in Beirut, the incoming Executive Director will be instrumental in the design, planning and execution of the upcoming capital campaign, which will raise resources for the priorities identified through the ongoing strategic and master planning efforts, deepen relationships with existing donors including Trustees, alumni and friends while also engaging new audiences and elevating the profile of the University.
Based in AUB’s New York office, the Executive Director will lead the North American development and alumni relations operation and oversee a team of eight. S/he will provide the leadership and direction to ensure that the talent, systems, plans and practices are in place to support a high performing fundraising program that includes annual, major and planned giving, special events, institutional grants and sponsorships as well as a robust alumni engagement effort. The Executive Director will ensure that the North American development operation is strategically aligned and working in full partnership with the Beirut Advancement office and with the New York Communications team. S/he will personally manage a portfolio of principal and major gift donors and prospects while also supporting the fundraising efforts of the President, the Board and other University leaders.
· Translate the University’s vision into a compelling case for support that inspires alumni, volunteer leaders and friends.
· Direct and manage a comprehensive and integrated North American fundraising program aligned with AUB’s vision for growth.
· Represent AUB in the North American market through interactions with Trustees, alumni and friends of the University while promoting an institutional culture of philanthropy.
· Maintain regular, consistent, and transparent progress reports to key stakeholders.
Staff Management and Peer Collaboration
· Manage and mentor a team of eight.
· Develop strategies to maximize revenue by setting ambitious goals, establishing metrics and continuously evaluating performance.
· Ensure an appropriate return on investment for the institution by managing resources and outcomes efficiently and effectively.
· Establish operational best practices in partnership with the Beirut Advancement office.
· Partner with the to-be-hired Director of Communications to increase alumni engagement and to promote the upcoming campaign to both existing and new audiences
Development Strategy, Planning, and Portfolio Management
· Collaborate with University leadership on the design and implementation of a campaign plan, including strategies for expanding individual, corporate and foundation philanthropy and increasing alumni participation in fundraising.
· Work closely with the University President, Vice President for Advancement and volunteer leaders to identify funding opportunities and prospects, develop and carry out cultivation and solicitation strategies and effectively steward donors.
· Personally manage a portfolio of individual and institutional principal and major giving prospects.
Develop and execute a comprehensive campaign plan for the non-medical center campus.
· Passion for the AUB mission and ability to effectively serve as an ambassador for the university.
· At least 10 years of development or other relevant experience with progressively increasing responsibility in a similarly complex environment, including at least three years of leadership and management experience.
· Successful track record of managing 7-figure gift strategies from both individuals and institutions.
· Demonstrated success supporting and managing institutional leadership in fundraising through identification, qualification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
· Diverse experience with the variety of programs that comprise a comprehensive fundraising operation, including annual giving, major and planned giving, corporate and foundation giving, and special events as well as advancement services. Experience overseeing alumni relations efforts preferred.
· Experience with design, planning and/or execution of capital campaign efforts.
· Ability to translate funding priorities into a compelling case for support and adapt for various audiences.
· Sound understanding of development best practices, including individual team member roles and responsibilities as well as the systems and procedures required to support successful annual giving and major donor efforts.
· Willingness and capability to motivate, mentor and grow a team and its members.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative manner.
· Persuasive communicator with excellent writing, editing, and presentation skills.
· Results oriented self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to act decisively.
· Commitment to the highest standards of professionalism, integrity, excellence and honesty.
· Sound knowledge of the U.S. philanthropic market.
· Global awareness and personal and/or professional knowledge of and interest in the Middle East.
· Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally in order to meet personal development goals.
· Experience working within a geographically diverse organization and/or team preferred.
· Master’s degree desirable.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to:
AUB-Advancement@developmentguild.com. START DATE IS TBD.
American University of Beirut
Job Location City:
New York City
Job Location State:
Job Location Zip:
Job Contact Name:
Job Contact Email:
Fundraising Day in New York 2018
Learn about Fundraising Day in New York 2018. View now>
The American University of Beirut (AUB) was founded in 1866 as a private, independent, non-sectarian institution of higher learning, functioning under a charter from the State of New York. AUB has grown from 16 students in a rented house to a major university with over 7,446 students located on a 73-acre campus overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. The University is governed by an autonomous Board of Trustees comprised of international leaders in business, education, diplomacy, engineering, philanthropy, science, and medicine.