Heartland Alliance For Human Needs & Human Rights
Chicago, IL, United States
Clevel, Executive, Manager, 100k
Heartland Alliance is one of the world’s leading anti-poverty organizations, working in vulnerable communities in the U.S. and abroad, while serving those who are homeless, living in poverty, or seeking safety by partnering with communities to break cycles of inequality. The organization is comprised of five nonprofit corporations that provide a comprehensive array of services in the areas of health, housing, economic opportunity, safety, and justice. Additionally, the organization leads state and national policy efforts that target lasting change for individuals and society.
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) reports directly to the President and serves as a member of the Executive Leadership Team. The CPO provides high-level, collaborative direction, support, and thought leadership on business strategy, operations, and strategic alignment across the Alliance. The CPO will take an active role in supporting Heartland Alliance’s Executive Directors by providing guidance to achieve program and operations objectives. The CPO is also responsible for ensuring Alliance-wide coordination of programs, services, resources, and workflows. The CPO helps develop strategic business initiatives with a defined purpose, clear scope, and targeted impact on the organization both for short-term improvement and long-term value; and through thoughtful, inclusive, and systematic execution.
An ideal candidate will be energetic, flexible, collaborative, courageous, and proactive - a team leader who can positively and productively guide transformative change at a strategic level. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual success objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lead the integration and coordination of initiatives across Heartland Alliance companies/programs to align with the Alliance’s overarching vision
• Develop and advance strategies aimed at improving overall company and program performance, efficiency and process improvements, and enhanced participant experience
• Work collaboratively with and guide company-level Executive Directors and senior leaders to achieve their organizational goals and program objectives, strengthen core functions, and develop resilience against environmental threats, uncertainty, and volatility
• Collaborate closely with the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer to ensure the alignment and efficiency of administrative and financial management practices across the Alliance, including budgets, business processes, information systems and workflows, financial reporting, and continuous quality improvement
• Collaborate closely with the Chief External Affairs Officer to align company- and program-level strategies with fundraising and development, communications and marketing, and external affairs
• Facilitate expansion and contraction activities, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and strategic partnerships
• Recommend and facilitate the implementation of risk management strategies to reduce risks and ensure regulatory compliance
• Identify opportunities to provide support and recommendations to executive and senior leaders, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of challenges and hurdles to business success
• Identify areas of duplication across the companies and work closely with executive and senior leaders to integrate and collaborate across functional areas
• Advise executives and senior leaders on strategic system conversions and integration in support of business goals and objectives
• Presents at and/or participates in Board meetings and Committees, as needed
Desired Leadership Competencies:
1. Strategic Agility
a. Proven track record of setting a vision and creating strategies in the midst of a complex, uncertain, and changing environment
b. Models and inspires innovative thinking and helps the organization adapt to change and face adversity
c. Synthesizes data and inputs effectively and communicates results so that others easily understand
a. Proven active listener who can synthesize information for all audiences in an appropriate manner
b. Demonstrated skill representing the organization while influencing and inspiring action outside of the organization
c. Ability to create concise, clear and appropriate messaging (verbal, written, etc.) within team, division and organization
3. Teamwork & Collaboration
a. Track record of encouraging and gathering diverse opinions to create common ground, build trust and provide innovative solutions
b. Strong ability to build productive and collaborative teams by identifying and leveraging talents, building and maintaining accountability, and modeling inclusion and respect
4. Managerial Courage
a. Proven ability to create an environment of a welcome diversity of thoughts and opinions, even when it’s not popular
b. Models courage and determination to challenge current practices and mindsets at the most senior level while maintaining effective relationships
5. Talent Development
a. Demonstrated ability to identify future leaders, determine future capability needs, and support development plans to meet those needs
b. Ability to model and create an overall environment of respect, diversity and inclusion
c. Understands the importance of supporting employees’ well-being by working to address stress and vicarious trauma
d. Highly skilled in coaching and developing competence in others
6. Other Professional Qualifications
a. Proven change integrator with a successful history of leading change on an individual, team and organizational level
b. Results outcome oriented and organizational value focused
c. Expertise in change management methods and their application, with emphasis on driving measurable results
d. Proven transformation and change management delivery track record, strong planning and execution, and discipline delivering high quality/high impact solutions and interventions
e. Demonstrated understanding of the fundamentals and challenges of the non-profit sector
• Master’s degree in social sciences, business, or related field required
• Minimum of ten (10) years of senior-executive experience within a complex, multi-site, multi-issue organization
• Minimum of ten (10) years of demonstrated success in managing organizational change, leading business process analysis and restructuring, and leadership management strongly preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
• The employee is frequently required to use hands to key, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without regard to race, receipt of an order of protection, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, amnesty, physical or mental disability, protected veterans status, genetic information, sexual orientation, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, use of FMLA, VESSA, military, and family military rights, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the organization's AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.
Heartland Alliance For Human Needs & Human Rights
Website : http://www.heartlandalliance.org/