Reporting to the Senior Vice President and Chief Communications Officer, the Associate Vice President (
) of Creative serves as the creative leader of the Marketing and Communications Division. Experienced creative leader and modern marketer, the
of Creative translates marketing and communications strategies into compelling concepts and expressions to consistently and effectively bring the **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. brand to life in order to advance organizational goals. Working in partnership with other marketing and communication leaders, leads creative teams from concept to completion in the development of creative materials and products. Responsible for the day-to-day oversight of design, production and multi-media teams. Leads creative professionals toward the development of creative, compelling and brand-advancing methods for leveraging imagery, video production and messaging to capture the spirit of **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.. Guides creative teams across the University to share the brand in a consistent way.
Responsible for building and operationalizing an evolved and contemporary in-house creative shop. A critical partner to the
on the development of the brand, including the strategy, architecture and visual and verbal identity. Helps drive brand standards development with a keen eye toward operationalizing brand stewardship in a highly decentralized environment. A passionate problem-solver with excellent command skills, builds infrastructure to ensure there are systems in place for checks and balances and efficiency in creative development. Partners with Marketing Technology Director to leverage technology. Ensures team is working effectively with content and marketing strategy team to leverage insights and bring customer-centric creative to life in media-appropriate ways. An astute storyteller via copy, design, illustration, photography and videography. Demonstrates excellence in art direction and creative conception.
• Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 12 (twelve) years minimum in design, brand development, multimedia leadership experience.
• A minimum of 7 (seven) plus years leading large and diverse creative teams in complex organizations with an orientation toward advancing aspirational organizational goals.
• A track-record of working in a highly iterative and collaborative way, directly alongside marketing leaders, creative designers and concept developers.
Job Specific Qualifications
• Portfolio of hands-on and art-directed campaign and product development experience.
• Proven track record in creation and operational innovation. Ability to think creatively, strategically and critically in order to balance business objectives with user needs.
• Achievement in building, mentoring and leading a high-performing team of creatives.
• Extensive experience in all aspects of print, digital and multimedia design.
• High level of aesthetic sense. A critical eye and obsessive attention to detail.
• Exceptional communication skills, in writing and verbally.
• Deep understanding of marketing trends and modern marketing technology.
• Solution-orientation and positive attitude essential.
• Deep, relevant hands-on design experience. Understands modern technology.
• Responsible for leading day-to-day operations of design, production and multimedia teams.
• Partner in driving the development and implementation of brand components.
• Partners with marketing and communications leadership team to ensure creative conception and production is developed and delivered on time and on budget and is oriented in a way that advances campaign and organizational goals.
• Develops processes and systems with a focus on continuous improvement to drive efficiency and effectiveness in creation operations.
• Responsible for understanding and implementing modern marketing trends through creative storytelling.
• Drives the creation of collateral and concept — both physical and digital with excellent attention to detail.
• Approves all high-end creation production and may serve as partner in ‘concepting’ for significant events or campaigns.
• Directs a high-volume creative shop. Identifies, hires, trains and manages a pool of free-lancers and agency-partners to serve as overflow capacity when needed.
• Member of Marketing & Communications Sr. Leadership Team.
• Provides counsel to
and collaborates on building a best-in-class marketing operation.
• Stays up-to-date on industry trends.
• Mentors team and provides University-wide education on creative best practices.
In addition to completing an online application, please submit a resume and cover letter.
About **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is a private research university of extraordinary academics, distinctive offerings and an undeniable spirit. With a gorgeous campus in the heart of New York State, a global footprint and a history that dates to 1870, we embrace diverse backgrounds and viewpoints.
Our student population includes nearly 15,000 undergraduates and 5,000 graduate students, representing all 50 U.S. states and 123 countries. Our proud commitment to veterans and their families is unrivaled in higher education. Home to 11 schools and colleges, **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. blends the foundational power of the liberal arts with the intense focus of professional programs. We offer undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees in Architecture, Arts and Sciences, Education, Engineering and Computer Science, Sport and Human Dynamics, Information Studies, Law, Management, Citizenship and Public Affairs, Public Communications, and Visual and Performing Arts.
A medium-sized city situated in the geographic center of the state, Syracuse, N.Y., is approximately a four-hour drive from New York City, Boston, Philadelphia, Toronto and Montreal. With a metropolitan population of 700,000, Syracuse is a center for cultural, recreational and artistic events, including the Everson Museum of Art, Syracuse Stage, Symphoria, Destiny Mall, multiple sporting events, and festivals including Jazz Fest and Winterfest. The outdoor enthusiast will enjoy having the Adirondack Mountains, the Finger Lakes, Lake Ontario, and the Thousands Islands Region within easy driving distance of the Syracuse campus.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution. The University prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship, ethnicity, marital status, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law to the extent prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination policy covers admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University programs, services, and activities.
Commitment to Supporting and Hiring Veterans
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. has a long history of engaging veterans and the military-connected community through its educational programs, community outreach, and employment programs. After World War II, **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. welcomed more than 10,000 returning veterans to our campus, and those veterans literally transformed **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. into the national research institution it is today. The University’s contemporary commitment to veterans builds on this historical legacy, and extends to both class-leading initiatives focused on making an SU degree accessible and affordable to the post-9/11 generation of veterans, and also programs designed to position **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. as the employer of choice for military veterans, members of the Guard and Reserve, and military family members.
Commitment to a Diverse and Inclusive Campus Community
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. maintains an inclusive learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview. The University community recognizes and values the many similarities and differences among individuals and groups. At Syracuse, we are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, military backgrounds, religious beliefs, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, abilities, sexual orientations and gender identities. To do so, we commit ourselves to promoting a community that celebrates and models the principles of diversity and inclusivity.
Job Posting Date
Full Consideration By
Message to Applicants