University Of Maryland
The University System of Maryland Office ( USMO ) invites applications and nominations for the Exempt Staff position of Chief of Staff to the Chancellor. The position will report to the Chancellor and is a key member of the leadership team at the USMO .
The Chief of Staff serves as the lead support person for the USM Chancellor in the day to day operations of the Chancellor’s Office and provides professional support to the organization and compensation committee of the USM Board of Regents. The individual supervises the Deputy Chief of Staff, Executive Administrative Assistant to the Chancellor, and the Chancellor’s Driver. This is a highly responsible and sensitive position. The individual will:
• Facilitate and coordinate communication between the Chancellor, USM Presidents and USM senior staff, including, but not limited to the preparation of agendas and supporting materials for meetings of the presidents and Chancellor’s Council, and the Chancellor and senior staff (direct reports of the Chancellor). Includes development of agendas, minutes, notes, and monitoring the issues addressed at these meetings.
• Organize and implement a regular orientation program for new presidents.
• Organize and implement periodic planning retreats for presidents and senior staff.
• Serve as the staff to the USM Board of Regents’ committee on organization and compensation and support the committee in the review of specified bylaws and BOR policies.
• Assist the Chancellor in the performance review of presidents, including goal setting and follow up, annual and periodic evaluations and presidential searches, and with other personnel issues.
• Serve as the liaison to the Office of the Attorney General on issues affecting the Chancellor’s Office.
• Provide counsel to the Chancellor, vice chancellors, other direct reports and other USM Office Staff on issues as needed. Provide oversight of the operations of the Chancellor’s office, including working with the Executive Assistant to the Chancellor regarding the Chancellor’s schedule, correspondence, events, complaints, etc.
• Support the Chancellor as needed in performing other appropriate duties.
The qualified candidate will have a Bachelor’s Degree and at least 10 years of experience as a member of a senior management/leadership team with knowledge of issues, challenges, and emerging trends in higher education and experience that includes management of projects that require coordination of diverse groups, including senior leadership and/or board of directors. The individual must understand the scope of the USM , as well as the overall structure of higher education and the political environment in the state of Maryland. The individual must utilize good judgment in decision-making and understand the many demands on the Chancellor in his role as CEO and staff to the Board of Regents. The position requires top level organizational and administrative skills; high-level oral and written communication skills; project management skills; strong organizational and planning abilities; excellent interpersonal skills; flexibility; the ability to manage and respond effectively to challenges; and the ability to juggle multiple priorities effectively.
The individual is expected to exercise a high level of independent judgement, maintain confidentiality, and display tact and discretion in all matters.
Applications received by January 16, 2018 will be given priority consideration. All other resumes will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled. Applicants must combine all application materials (cover letter, resume and list of three references with contact information) into one PDF or Microsoft word document to the following email address; email@example.com
Open Until Filled
Best Consideration Date
The University System of Maryland is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or ancestry, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability unrelated to an individual’s ability to perform the job, in accordance with applicable law. As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, applicants should be prepared to present acceptable documentation showing their identities, their U.S. citizenship or alien status, and their authorization to work in the United States.
University Of Maryland
Website : http://www.maryland.edu
the University of Maryland has become one of the nation's leading public research and innovation universities. Today, the university stands as a preeminent institution dedicated to serving its state, the nation and the world. We've been recognized by The Wall Street Journal for the quality of our graduates, Kiplinger's Personal Finance for our overall value, The Princeton Review for our undergraduate entrepreneurship, and U.S. News & World Report for our overall excellence. The State of Maryland's success depends upon a world-class public research and innovation university. Maryland functions in a knowledge-driven, global economic environment in which change is lightning-fast and innovation constant. Other regions and peer institutions are not standing still, and in the growing competitive environment, Maryland's continued success must be a priority. The state will depend increasingly on the talent, knowledge and creativity generated by its flagship university.